Preparation Time:5 minutes
Cooking Time:25 minutes
Serves: 2 serving
- 4 large Tomatoes – 1½ tablespoons
- Chopped Beetroot (or a small piece), optional
- 3-4 cloves of Garlic,
- Chopped 7-8 Whole Black Peppercorns
- A small piece of Bay Leaf, optional
- 1/2 tablespoon Butter
- 1 teaspoon Maida (all purpose flour)/ Corn flour
- 1 teaspoon Sugar (or to taste)
- 1½ cups WaterSalt to taste
1. Dice tomatoes into quarters and beetroot into small pieces.
2. Add tomatoes, beetroot,garlic, black pepper, corns and bay leaf in a medium saucepan or a 2-3 liter capacity pressure cooker. Add 1 cup water and salt and cook covered until beet root and tomatoes turn soft. it will take flame. if you are using a pressure cooker, pressure cook them over medium flam for 2 whisttes.
3. When they turn soft ,turn off the flame. Remove the lid and let the mixture cool at room temperature for few minutes.
4. Discard the bay leaf and blend the mixture using a hand blender (stick blender) or in the jar of a mixer grinder until smooth puree. Be careful while making the puree, as the mixture is hot.
5. Strain prepared puree through a sieve or a strainer in a bowl. Discard the residue . Do not use a very fine strainer , as we need tomato pulp in the soup.
6. Heat 1/2tablespoon butter in the same saucepan over medium flame . Add 1 teaspoon maida(all purpose flour).
7. Stir continuously and cook for a minute.
8. Add strained tomato puree little by little and stir continuously to avoid lumps formation. Add 1/2 cup water,1 teaspoon sugar and mixwell.
9. Bring it to boil over high flame . When it comes to rolling boil , reduce flame to medium and cook for 4-5 minutes Taste for salt and pepper at this stage and add more if required . Turn off the flame. Tomato soup is ready. Garnish withe black pepper power and coriander leaves and serve With bread croutons.